Sonic the Hedgehog is turning 30 years old this year, celebrating three decades of being the fastest and bluest hedgehog around. Created by SEGA in 1991 as a video game character, Sonic has since spawned countless animated series, movies, and merch. Great Eastern Entertainment (GEE) has been a partner with SEGA for more than 15 years, producing fan-centric merchandise that includes a Sonic collection.
Sonic will be the first character in GEE’s new moveable plush line. The moveable plush characters will feature an internal “skeleton” to give them numerous points of articulation through a system of plastic joints, mimicking the play patterns of an action figure in the body of a plush toy. In addition to Sonic, the moveable plush line will also feature anime characters from My Hero Academia, Sailor Moon, Naruto, One Punch Man, Dragon Ball Z, One Piece, Sword Art Online, Fullmetal Alchemist, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Fruits Basket. The moveable plush toys have not launched yet, but GEE also offers a classic plush Sonic in different sizes and colors.
Sonic fans can also check out other items in GEE’s Sonic collection including throw blankets, slippers, enamel pins, collectible buttons, wallets, keychains, backpacks, phone accessories, and more. GEE is also looking to expand beyond its current portfolio of anime and animation IPs with a deeper dive into pop culture and entertainment brands.
To celebrate the 30th anniversary of Sonic, the Pop Insider is partnering with GEE to give away a prize pack full of exciting Sonic merch (click here to enter!) and taking a closer look at the superstar hedgehog with these fun Sonic facts. Check them out below!
- We all know Sonic is speedy, but exactly how fast can he run? This zippy hedgehog can run as fast as the speed of sound.
- Sonic must get hungry after all that running around! His favorite food is the chili dog.
- Sonic’s bestie is nicknamed Tails and his real name is Miles Prower. If you say his name out loud, you’ll notice it sounds just like “miles per hour.” We love a good pun!
- Sonic is obviously a hedgehog, Tails is a fox, but what about Knuckles? Sonic’s rival Knuckles is an echidnas, a mammal that is covered in coarse hair and spines similar to a hedgehog. Echidnas live in Australia and New Guinea, they’re one of the only egg-laying mammals, and their diet consists largely of ants and termites.
- Rock on! In the Sonic Underground animated series from the ‘90s, Sonic is the lead singer of his own band.
- In addition to video games, movies, and TV series, there is also a Sonic the Hedgehog comic book series published by IDW Publishing.
- Sonic’s nemesis went by the name of Dr. Eggman in Japan and Dr. Ivo Robotnik in the U.S. Sega later clarified that his real name is Dr. Robotnik, while Eggman is his nickname. Jim Carrey played him in the live-action Sonic the Hedgehog film that came out last year.
To see more of the cool anime merch that GEE has to offer, visit geemerch.com!