Pop Insider Editor-in-Chief Marissa DiBartolo stopped by Fox in Chicago to show off some radical retro products that make for perfect holiday gifts. For more on the products featured in this segment, check out the product notes below.
- Relive the moments that changed gaming forever with the iconic PlayStation Classic, preloaded with 20 of the best titles from a game-changing era, including Final Fantasy VII, TEKKEN 3, R4: Ridge Racer Type 4, Jumping Flash!, Wild Arms and more.
- The PlayStation Classic is a miniature recreation of the original PlayStation, perfectly mirroring the original’s logo, button layout and packaging – but 45 percent smaller.
- This miniature console launches with an HDMI cable to connect to your TV, two wired controllers, plus a virtual memory card to save your adventures as you switch between titles.
- Available now for pre-order at select retailers for a Dec. 3 release.
- MSRP: $99.99
DISNEY MICKEY THE TRUE ORIGINAL COLLECTOR’S CHESS SET (USAOPOLY)
- Celebrate 90 Years of Magic with Mickey, The True Original, in this classic chess set featuring universally known and loved characters from Disney’s timeless franchise.
- Mickey Mouse & Minnie Mouse, Donald Duck & Daisy Duck, Pete & Goofy, and more stand in familiar positions on the board for one player to overtake his or her opponent’s pieces, making Disney Mickey The True Original Collector’s Chess Set fun to play for beginners and nostalgic for savvy folks.
- Disney Mickey The True Original Collector’s Chess Set reenergizes a classic tabletop game with the likenesses of Mickey Mouse and his pals.
- The Disney Mickey The True Original Collector’s Chess Set infuses the customary two-player strategy game with Mickey’s hallmark cheerfulness to delight players for generations to come.
- Age: 7+
- MSRP: $69.95
- Available: Amazon, GameStop
TAMAGOTCHI (BANDAI AMERICA)
- Tamagotchi is back! Available in 16 different styles and equipped with the original programming,consumers will be able to feed their Tamagotchi, clean up after it, take care of it and even
discipline it, while they raise it to adulthood.
- Each player has up to seven different types of adult Tamagotchi they will be able to get.
- Ages: 8+
- MSRP: $19.99
- Where to buy: Best Buy, Indigo Bookstores, and Barnes & Noble, Target, Amazon, GameStop
- In the era of the original Enterprise, space did seem a whole lot bigger. They were a little slower to invoke the Prime Directive; a little quicker to pull out their phasers. There were Romulans behind every nebula, constant threats of war with the Klingons, and no holodecks or replicators to take the edge off of living in space.
- That means the Star Trek TOS Robe needs to be sturdy, 100% cotton, and able to withstand the daily trials of going where no one has gone before.
- Choose Blue (Science and Medical), Red (Operations, Engineering, and Security), or Gold (Command).
- Waffle texture fabric with braided gold ranks on the sleeves.
- One size fits most adult humans.
- Officially-licensed Star Trek: The Original Series merchandise.
- A ThinkGeek exclusive.
- MSRP: $59.99
- Available: ThinkGeek.com
SUPER MARIO BROTHERS CANTEEN (NINTENDO)
- The Super Mario Flask looks just like an original NES classic Super Mario Bros. cartridge, repurposed for all your drinking needs.
- Take a swig of your favorite drink, or, if you feel so inclined, use the included straw.
- It’s perfect for those long trips through unknown worlds, especially the desert ones.
- Please drink responsibly, and never ever drink and drive – not even a kart racer.
- Age: Adult
- MSRP: $19.99
- Available: ThinkGeek.com
DC COMICS ORIGINALS HEAT SENSITIVE MORPHING MUGS (ENTERTAINMENT EARTH)
- When you add hot liquid to this 11-ounce DC Comics Originals Retro Logo Heat-Sensitive Morphing Mug, your favorite DC hero is there.
- Watch as the heat-activated process magically transforms the ceramic mug from black to a vivid full-color image!
- On one side, Batman, Wonder Woman, or Green Lantern appears.
- On the other, the hero’s classic logo is featured with a background of iconic comic panels.
- Do not microwave. Hand wash only. Not dishwasher safe.
- Age: 6+
- MSRP: $18.99
- Available: entertainmentearth.com
THE NICK BOX (CULTUREFLY)
- The Nick box is a Subscription service that will bring some of your most memorable Nickelodeon experiences right to your door!
- Each box is filled with nostalgic goodies that you will treasure like vinyl toys, plush, apparel, household collectables, and much more!
- The Nick Box features exclusive merchandise from nostalgic shows such as The Wild Thornberrys, Good Burger, Rugrats, Rocko’s Modern Life, Ren & Stimpy, The Adventure of Pete & Peter, and Hey Arnold!
- Each quarter, we bring you a different theme loaded with exclusive items that can only be found at The Nick Box.
- MSRP: $45.99 per box
- Available: thenickbox.com
- Arcade1Up game cabinets look, feel and play just like the classic arcade games you remember.
- These 3:4 scale Arcade Cabinets let you play seated or standing (Gaming Stool and/or Riser add-on available).
- The classic upright cabinet design has authentic arcade controls and gameplay, such as joysticks, trackballs, buttons, and sounds.
- The 17-inch screen features multiplayer controls and no quarters are required for play.
- Ages: 7+
- MSRP: $399
- Available: Best Buy, GameStop, Walmart, FYE