DC Comics’ very own creator of chaos, the Joker, celebrates his 80th comic book anniversary this April. Fans can get their hands on a new 100-page comic book, titled The Joker 80th Anniversary 100-Page Super Spectacular No. 1, to commemorate this villainous anniversary.
The infamous Gotham City villain aka Batman’s arch-nemesis first made his comic book debut in April 1940 (below). To celebrate the Joker, the new comic book will feature an original lineup of tales by celebrated comic book storytellers, including Brian Azzarello, Lee Bermejo, Paul Dini, Denny O’Neil, Scott Snyder, Tom Taylor, Jock, José Luis García-López, Mikel Janín, James Tynion IV, Riley Rossmo, and more.
According to DC Comics, the new comic book will feature stories that “run the gamut from terror to humor to outright anarchy, showing how the Joker has left his indelible mark on Gotham City, from the gates of Arkham Asylum to the Gotham City PD, from the local underworld to Batman and his allies.”
Comic book artists will also pay homage to the Joker through a series of variant covers for the issue, which will include:
- A 1940s variant cover by Arthur Adams;
- A 1950s variant cover by David Finch;
- A 1960s variant cover by Francesco Mattina;
- A 1970s variant cover by Jim Lee and Scott Williams;
- A 1980s variant cover by Bill Sienkiewicz;
- A 1990s variant cover by Gabriele Dell’Otto;
- A 2000s variant cover by Lee Bermejo; and
- A 2010s variant cover by Jock.
Fans can find the comic book for $9.99 at comic book retailers and participating digital retailers starting on April 29.
Photos: DC Comics