SDCC is one step closer to being canceled.
California Governor Gavin Newsom said yesterday in a press briefing that there is no expectation that large gatherings will take place in the state.
“The prospect of mass gatherings is negligible at best until we get to herd immunity, and we get to a vaccine,” Newsom said. “So large-scale events that bring in hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands of strangers all together across every conceivable difference, health and otherwise, is not in the cards based upon our current guidelines and current expectations.”
In 2019, Comic-Con International: San Diego (SDCC) expected more than 135,000 attendees from more than 80 countries, according to Vulture. Massive sponsors and exhibitors typically include major film and entertainment studios, including Fox, DC, Marvel Studios, Nintendo, Netflix, Warner Bros., Amazon Prime Video, and dozens more.
SDCC is undoubtedly the most highly anticipated con in North America, but it looks like there is little to no chance it will take place as scheduled in 2020 due to complications and restrictions caused by COVID-19.
Comic-Con International previously shifted its Anaheim-based convention WonderCon to become a virtual event, after it was canceled earlier this year due to the coronavirus outbreak. But SDCC badges are incredibly difficult to come by, so fans are worried about how refunds and rollover badges will be handled. The SDCC Unofficial Blog penned an open letter to Comic-Con requesting refunds with grace periods and rollover options that fans are hungry for.
The last official word on cancelation came on April 1, promising social media updates in the future. The “hopeful” message was met with pleas from fans to cancel, offer refunds, and move on.
To our amazing Comic-Con and WonderCon fans: We understand how difficult the current climate has been for all of us and appreciate your continued support through these trying times. No one is as hopeful as we are that we will be able to celebrate #SDCC2020 together come July. 1/2
— San Diego Comic-Con (@Comic_Con) April 1, 2020
With the new statement from the governor, fans are hoping for a verdict on whether or not the show will go on this week.
Photo: Comic-Con International
In response to all the convention cancelations, The Pop Insider is offering free, annual print subscriptions to the Pop Insider magazine from now until June 1 to help bring a bit of the con community directly to you!