To all loyal Disney fans out there, we wish you a very happy Disney+ Day! For those of you living under a social media rock, we’ll catch you up to speed — today marks the two-year anniversary of Disney+, and to celebrate this milestone, the streaming platform has officially proclaimed today as its second Disney+ Day. Hotdog!
In typical Disney fashion, the Disney+ Day festivities are exceeding all expectations, promising a host of new announcements via Twitter all day long (no, literally, all day long). From updates on fan-favorite series to exclusive first-looks at upcoming projects across all of its subsidiaries, there’s a lot to be excited about on this magical holiday.
If you’re feeling overwhelmed by all of this news or just simply can’t be refreshing Twitter all day (said no one ever), keep scrolling, because we got you covered with the most important Disney+ Day highlights, organized by brand/category!
Baymax! Original Series
Big Hero 6 fans who are still clinging to the hope of a sequel, you’re in luck, because Hiro and Baymax are returning to screens Summer 2022 in the new Disney+ Original Series, Baymax!. Check out the trailer below to see what post-film adventures are in store for your favorite tech-savvy duo.
Baymax! isn’t the only reboot making its way to Disney+. In fact, there are a whole bunch of them, including:
- Cheaper by the Dozen, a reimagining of the 2002 classic starring Gabrielle Union and Zach Braff, set to hit Disney+ in March 2022
- Disenchanted, a sequel to the hit film Enchanted which will stream exclusively on Disney+ Fall 2022, starring Amy Adams and Patrick Dempsey
- Hocus Pocus 2, a spellbinding sequel to the ‘90s film with Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker and Kathy Najimy returning as the Sanderson sisters, streaming on Disney+ Fall 2022
- Pinocchio, a live-action reimagination of the cartoon starring Tom Hanks which will premiere on Disney+ Fall 2022
- The Proud Family: Louder and Prouder, a new series based off the Disney Channel series and will start streaming February 2022
First Clip from The Beatles Get Back
Let It Be by The Beatles is unarguably one of the most iconic albums in music history. On Nov. 25, Disney+ is paying homage to this work by releasing the first of three episodes of Peter Jackson’s The Beatles: Get Back. The docu-series covers the making of this beloved 1970s record and includes material originally captured for Michael Lindsay-Hogg’s documentary of the album. Today, Disney+ is giving fans Across the Universe (get it?) a preview of what’s to come with a first clip of the documentary.
What would a Disney holiday be without epic Marvel releases? Spoiler, it wouldn’t. While we don’t have any trailers available just yet, we do have an itemized list of some upcoming MCU series set to hit Disney+ in 2022.
- Marvel Zombies, an animated series that reimagines the MCU with a new generation of heroes in a battle against a proliferating zombie infestation
- X-Men ‘97, an animated series that explores new stories of the original ‘90s animated series
- Moon Knight, an action-adventure series that follows Moon Knight, the complex vigilante who suffers from a dissociative personality disorder, as he battles in a deadly war of the gods
- She-Hulk, a comedy series that stars Tatiana Maslany as super-human defense lawyer She-Hulk/Jennifer Walters
- Ms. Marvel, a live-action starring Iman Vellani as Kamala Khan, an ordinary comic nerd that suddenly finds herself living out her superhero fantasy
- Echo, a spin-off of Hawkeye, this live-action series will star Alaqua Cox as Maya Lopez
- Spider-Man: Freshman Year, an animated series that follows Peter Parker’s journey into the MCU with styles reminiscent of the franchise’s early comic roots
- I Am Groot, a series of original shorts starring Baby Groot, exploring his troublesome childhood among the stars
Sneak peeks for Hawkeye, Moon Knight, She-Hulk and Ms. Marvel are available for subscribers now on Disney+. As for the rest of these series, we’ll be waiting patiently!
Lucasfilm / Star Wars
It’s not May 4th, but today, the Force is certainly with us as Disney+ releases an exclusive trailer for its new Obi-Wan Kenobi series set to premiere in 2022. Starring Ewan McGregor as the beloved Jedi Master, the series takes place 10 years after the events of Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith, where Anakin Skywalker famously became the evil Sith Lord, Darth Vader. The trailer is available now on disneyplus.com for Disney+ subscribers.
Star Wars fans can also celebrate the legacy of legendary bounty hunter, Boba Fett, in the Disney+ documentary special Under the Helmet: The Legacy of Boba Fett, which is available for streaming now. Check out the trailer below!
What do you call it when Thor, the God of Thunder, undergoes a series of life-threatening obstacles without the protection of his super-human strength? National Geographic is calling it Limitless With Chris Hemsworth, a six-part docu-series that follows Hemsworth on his discovery of human potential. Take a look at the exclusive trailer for the series, which is set to stream on Disney+ in 2022, below!
But wait, because the magic isn’t over yet! From now until Jan.14, Disney+ is teaming up with toy manufacturer Hasbro to offer one free month of streaming with any purchase from hasbropulse.com!
To explore the entirety of Disney+ Day announcements, check out this awesome (and extensive) Twitter thread posted by Disney+ today!
— Disney+ (@disneyplus) November 12, 2021