Mortal Kombat is back, and it’s a “flawless victory” as the 11th entry in the long-running video game franchise tops the charts for April video game sales, taking its place as the year’s second-best-selling title to date behind Kingdom Hearts III.
According to the NPD Group, consumer spending on video games rose 1% in April to $842 million, compared to $838 million a year ago. The Nintendo Switch continues to dominate hardware sales, but overall hardware was down 29% last month as saturation for current generation Xbox and PlayStation consoles is past its peak. Perhaps we’ll finally get some concrete news on upcoming systems at E3 next month.
Top 20 Video Game Titles | April 2019 (All Platforms)
- Mortal Kombat 11 | Warner Bros. Interactive
- Days Gone | Sony
- MLB 19: The Show | Sony
- Tom Clancy’s The Division 2 | Ubisoft
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate | Nintendo
- Grand Theft Auto V | Take 2 Interactive
- Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice | Activision Blizzard
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 | Activision Blizzard
- NBA 2K19 | Take 2 Interactive
- Yoshi’s Crafted World | Nintendo
- Red Dead Redemption 2 | Take 2 Interactive
- Mario Kart 8 | Nintendo
- Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey | Ubisoft
- Minecraft | Multi
- New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe | Nintendo
- Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster | Square Enix Inc.
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Nintendo
- Jump Force | Bandai Namco Games
- Battlefield V | Electronic Arts
- Borderlands | Take 2 Interactive
Gamers are still buying Nintendo Amiibo figures, with Super Smash Bros. Series 1 Character Packs charting as the best-selling accessory this April. Sony’s PS4 DualShock 4 Black Wireless Controller is the best-selling accessory thus far this year.
Photo: Warner Bros.